Pinkie Pie's Archon

Why use tactics when you can brute force it?

Moderator: Development

PinkiePie
Dark Prism
battle.net: RainbowDash.498

Pinkie Pie's Archon

Post by PinkiePie »

Pinkie's Archon Guide
(Also works for Firebat, ARES, and Infestor)
Based on most common gameplay experience, things can obviously change

The Beginning

Key: Early XP and Gold
Early Wood Bases
Most Popular Bases

The Archon is like a weak child in the beginning, seeing as how scan is a must have, start by sweeping the RED zones to grab a quick 15G, if nothing is found branch out to the more common wood base areas

Time is Against You

BACKTRACKING WHERE YOU JUST WERE is a huge fail. Efficient killers get the job done as they say. In this picture, follow the blue path searching a common area, rather than backtrack your same path to the gold. Golding builders last saw you exit there so are most likely to wall that area first. By taking the new path back, you have a possible wood base to hit in the Blue Circle also 2 random nuke spots that may possibly contain MULEs, plus a common feed spot containing some walls.

If its a total failure theres always the possiblity of a cloak and rage from the new enterance, don't "expect" it... But it happens a lot

Maximize Your Scans

Yes, you may want to scan the pesky DT to stop him from bothering you, but priority has to be thought out. Do I think that DT will amount to much? And if I scan a wood base that might give me 500xp, do I want to risk chasing that DT for something that will payoff much more?

Random MULEs

Even most "Pro" titans I see don't do this. Don't be afraid to blind nuke random popular cliffs, I've already had games of getting 2k extra XP just from cliff nukes that I had no idea contained MULEs. As long as the focal point of the nuke is at ground level, everything in the circle will be hit:

A Sneaky Beast

If you find a wood base don't just rush into it, think of the closest possible location you can get to their workers without being noticed for maximum food. Sometimes if they're busy running/golding you hit the jackpot and they don't even realize they've been nuked

The Established Titan
(Usually Level 8-10 Area)

So a base is established you can't yet break. Before nuking their worker line maintain the sneakiness. Side scan to find out if a careless builder is in nuke range. Immo mini + your nuke might just take 1 right there. Small Changelings are another common one

Look at the basers supports. Is there a Specre or Baneling?
Test them.
Make sure you nuke is not on CD and attack the front door while scan is active. A lot of Banelings will drop eggs right on top of you. Simply nuke the eggs right when they drop and keep going like nothing happened. Lots of free gold.

Just because you're the titan doesn't make you unstoppable force, if you think you're losing to a well supported base, figure out who your aggressive feeders or chasers are and nudge them to send units. And always keep an exit strategy

--------------------------------
Some of my own personal strategies are narrowing down the possibilities. If you are currently in the bottom left, scan the bottom right. If the feed you see there is nothing worth stopping at this point (random walls, ovies, a forge etc) leave it for now and find what matters. If the wood bases are in the top left and you waste all the time for a Forge, you'll have to travel twice the distance to hit what is of real value.
Sen
New(er) Management
battle.net: Sen - 435

Re: Pinkie Pie's Archon

Post by Sen »

Keep topics clear of irrelevant posts, ok guys?
Ok.
Tehr
Demonicus
battle.net: Tehr.301, Tehr#1477

Post by Tehr »

You should mention the tactic of not spending your skill points until you know the Builder compilation, or have a use. Whenever I am Archon, I get Rage and nothing else, then find feed. If I reach level two, I get cloak and nuke. If not, I wait until I see someone Golding, in which case I get cloak and kill them. If I happen to find a wood base first, however, I use that point for nuke instead. This tactic guarantees results (unless you find nothing), and although counter intuitive, it is better than using your level up points before they are needed.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Epicnoob
Dark Prism
battle.net: Epicnoob 213

Post by Epicnoob »

A guide, I haven't seen one written since I joined.
Scythe
Brutalisk
battle.net: Scythe 499

Post by Scythe »

Well, mostly because noone reads them... or nearly noone. We have to advertise for guides...
9Zakarious6
Monolith
battle.net: Zakarious #1334

Post by 9Zakarious6 »

Scythe wrote:Well, mostly because noone reads them... or nearly noone. We have to advertise for guides...

Many of the guides ended up on the wiki.
I thing Galatic had a thread somewhere that included what guides were needed
Phase-Smith
No amount of GHz or teraflops will be able to overcome the excessive lag between your neurons.
Scythe
Brutalisk

Post by Scythe »

People read guides here more than on the wiki. And you see, even here its not enough that people would bother to write one.
9Zakarious6
Monolith
battle.net: Zakarious #1334

Post by 9Zakarious6 »

People read them. They just don't post in them. Remember, there are 5-25 guests on all the time.
People don't bother making them because they would rather make suggestions, talk about balance, play the game, or off topic.
Phase-Smith
No amount of GHz or teraflops will be able to overcome the excessive lag between your neurons.
Scythe
Brutalisk

Post by Scythe »

Don't think I didn't think of that, but thats too optimistic. People really don't read the guides her very much. The noob who wants to learn does maybe read them, or maybe ask one of us ingame, but how many are that? 10%?
Vix Axiom
Professional Russian
battle.net: 669

Post by Vix Axiom »

Wow, actually good advice on how to play archon

Used these tips in pubs, by golly it worked