SC2 Island Defense

Announcements & Guides

Question for you GE users out there

Announcements about sc2id or important information can be found here.

Re: Question for you GE users out there

Postby HunkofSteel » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:29 am

When it comes to reaching the community and the audience, its less about what possibilities you can make, but rather how easy can you make it for the user to use.

That is the idea behind an engine. To have all the functions created beforehand and able to easily manipulate them. If a person is looking to develop a game, sure, he would look to a more powerful engine. But for the community to make fun games, an easier interface should be preferred.

The problem I have with GE is that it doesn't have the easiest interface to use. I would rather code my own game engine with no interface but codes, knowing inside out, than use GE. I expect that to be the reason why GE didn't really stick to the entire modding community when it came out.
What is better than a shit post?
A shitposting thread!

HunkofSteel
Monolith

Battle.Net: ?????

Postby Vallvaka » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:30 am

Do you know the amount of work that actually goes into making a game engine?
Vallvaka
Repressed

Battle.Net: Vallvaka.158

Postby Luftwaffe » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:11 am

yopeasants wrote:Do you know the amount of work that actually goes into making a game engine?

As much work as it takes to get that baws avatar (I seriously have no idea where you found it, I looked for an hour now).
An ID2 Liberal fellah
Luftwaffe
Dark Zealot

Battle.Net: Luftwaffe 3404

Postby HunkofSteel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:50 am

yopeasants wrote:Do you know the amount of work that actually goes into making a game engine?

Yes.

With the commercial game engines, more than 50% of the work goes to making a UI for people to use. If you are making your own, you literally save 50% of the time, because you can screw UI.
A shitposting thread!

HunkofSteel
Monolith

Postby Vallvaka » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Unity itself has 300+ employees, and we can assume that a good portion of them are programmers. Assuming that you can code at the speed of the 40+ programmers that work on Unity (estimate), which, by the way, is one of the simpler game engines, you still have to put in the man hours for 20+ programmers if you exclude the UI.

A lot of these programmers are specialized too, so you really have to learn as you go along, which I'm sure is just a LOAD of fun!

I knew a guy who started building his own game engine when he was in 8th grade. He's now a freshman in college and he STILL hasn't finished it. And this guy is one of the smartest guys I know, with programming skills to match.
Vallvaka
Repressed

Battle.Net: Vallvaka.158

Postby HunkofSteel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:47 am

yopeasants wrote:Unity itself has 300+ employees, and we can assume that a good portion of them are programmers. Assuming that you can code at the speed of the 40+ programmers that work on Unity (estimate), which, by the way, is one of the simpler game engines, you still have to put in the man hours for 20+ programmers if you exclude the UI.

A lot of these programmers are specialized too, so you really have to learn as you go along, which I'm sure is just a LOAD of fun!

I knew a guy who started building his own game engine when he was in 8th grade. He's now a freshman in college and he STILL hasn't finished it. And this guy is one of the smartest guys I know, with programming skills to match.

I've built my own game engine when I'm making my prototype projects. It only takes 1 year to make a simple game engine that you can use with both 2D and 3D games. I've been continuously working on upgrading my game engine since I learned programming directly related to games.

There is also a huge bump rise in regards to normal programming, into graphics programming, and than into UI programming.

Unity spends loads of time and employees because it is a professional tool that is made for others to use. Not only must it be powerful, it must also be user friendly, and also have a ton of features. If you have used Unity (I have), you would see a ton of features that are actually on the forefront of programming. Pioneering features so to speak. For example, each surface in Unity can be given a different type of reflection, texture, (I forgot what the word is, since I hate messing with it). It used to be a pain in the ass for programmers to choose from the list of 30+ things (imagine the coding for all of them!!). Currently, the new Unity beta version include an "International", which can be used for basically everything and it will find the best one for the surface.

These sorts of things do not exist in a personnel game engine. A game engine made within a year can give you quite easily Little Fighter 2. Why? Because this game engine is for you to use only, not for others.

Last but not least, Unity is not a simple game engine. It is one of the pioneering game engines with the best graphics to offer with a simple UI. They have made it simple for users to use; that doesn't mean its a simple game engine. How much work went into making even you think is simple shows how much work was done to clean up the UI and API.
A shitposting thread!

HunkofSteel
Monolith

Postby Xann » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:49 pm

So, not to be off-topic from the current topic or anything... But directed at Sen - I would be interested in learning GE. I've messed around some, but never got very far. Have a couple projects that are shelved. As for the Mod stuff everyone else was talking about, meh. I am curious about what mods can/'t do though. Usually sounds pretty mundane when they explain it though.
Known Sadist and Wanted Murderer of Ponies and Builders
Xann
Drone

Battle.Net: Xann

Previous

Return to Announcements & Guides