SC2 Island Defense

Strategy and Guides

ID Basic guide for Baser

Post your strategies, guides, or questions on the finer arts of Island Defense.

Moderator: Development

ID Basic guide for Baser

Postby DraGonSlayeR » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:59 pm

I’ll be using acronyms like M stands for Marine. Each acronym used for each builder will have its acronym in front if the acronym being used. Ex. MHN stands for Marine hellion. Some may overlap if they do no possessive acronym will be put before it like ZgAB, MAB, ZtAB ( Zergling Attribute bonus, Marine Attribute bonus Zealot Attribute bonus) instead it will be just AB. AB =Ab or aB or ab. I'm going use them for the really long name Im to lazy to type them out over and over

The Guide to SC2IDPostby Cruelevoke another useful guide either follow the link or look for it in Strategy and Guides *Note* correct me if I am wrong *End Note*

For all builders HOTKEYING is a must. For workers (scvs, probes, drones...etc) generally people have it set to 2 and the hotkey to detonate them is D which why people in game generally spam 2D. Another thing most noob players fall to grasp is that titan is 2x2 and builders are 1x1 in fact rewalling is the key to any good base. Something that all builders should do expect a few (like Zg, spectr, sentry, kt,dt) is destroy their supply once they’ve reached max, if you plan to use hunter and atk titan then it’s ok not to kill your supply but if you don’t plan on doing that then kill them.

For titan’s like thor/festor getting an hp upgrade for your workers could be the stuff of nightmare for those titan’s since they nuke’s don’t do that much damage. I believe festor max nuke does 125 and thor’s does 25 with and Aoe of 125 (total dmg 150)

If you can deny titan as much feed(experience)/gold as possible you are more than likely going to win.

Marine (M)- for its hunter, Hellion (MHN) you can go 2 different methods, 1st being leveling up on titan with 1 talent point (TP) to Attribute Bonus (AB) the other to Infernal Pre-Igniter (MIP) supply (maxed) is needed. 2nd method is have all TP go to AB and having MHN scout the map for Wood pallets (WP) no supply needed. These are personal preferences you can changed them as needed. I can’t make a list for every possible criteria. Like for the 2nd I go all AB till lvl 4 then MIP.

For early base it’s ideal to have a hunter ready and have it start with the 1st method listed in the previous paragraph. I’d say you’d need about 8.5k wood obviously if you have a waller you wouldn’t need as much wood as you’d need to base w/o (without) a waller. This applies to heavy base and all other basers, having a waller means you’ll need a lesser amount of wood to pull it off. If you choose to early base then go gold try to get 45 gold for heavies after that how you spend your gold/wood is up to you.

For heavy base (you’re not basing early) obviously 45 gold for Academy is needed 90 if it’s possible to get it. *Note* for some bases it may be ideal to get tree seeds (TS) [cost 250 wood and 1 gold] the # is up to you. Also for some bases it’s wiser to get Automatic wood Collectors (AWC) [cost 1k wood and 5 gold] again the # is up to you. *End Note* For heavy base with Advanced Research Center (ARC) w/ (with) upgrades you’ll need about 18k wood plus the upgrade towards wall’s/tower’s hp.

If you want everything the gold needed would be 265 or 285 (radar) the cost would be about 20k wood. *Note* the wood cost can vary b/w (between) bases. *End Note*

Zergling (Zg)- Getting a Queen (ZgQ) cost 500 wood is a must for wooding her injection able increase your wood rate either way it’s beneficial and something that should be gotten ASAP *Note* It doesn’t stack *End Note* You can get Lurker (ZgLK) however since he has no escape method like blink and it is 2x2 so it’s quite hard to lvl him up. If you go lurker it’s best to go all AB and not atk titan look around for WP. You can use cargolord to attack titan and escape but this isn’t the smart method since you wouldn’t always be vsing a noob plus all hunters feed 20 gold.

When making a wood base it’s in your best interest to make all the overlords at once since as they are made and come out the cost increase by 5 wood with each overlord that comes out of the hatchery. (Meaning when they come out the cost goes up). As such making them all at once as in having 2 hatcheries queue up 6 overlords is ideal for the cost is at 60 if you make them all at once. Save wood wherever you can! Due to the fact that they are not any hidden holes anymore (thanks a lot tank :( ) it’s best to split them up and having them all around the map so that you don’t feed so much when titan finds your overlords and kills them with his nuke. Same thing applies to Marine as does for Zergling if you want TS or AWC just simple account for them in the total amount of wood/gold you’ll need. Ex. if you want 90 gold and 10 seeds well then you’ll need to get 100 gold then.

When you base as Zergling it’s best to make sure you can get the level 1 tower upgrade cost is 5k wood. When you get it is up to you. I like to get before I go base so that my towers cost 100 wood instead of 125 wood. For basing w/o having already research the upgrade cost about 11k less with a waller. For some bases there are good spots for your lurker like at the top of a ramp (behind walls of course) since he attacks in a straight line putting him there would optimizes his attack and since titans tend to attack in #s having him placed correctly could reap a lot of exp for the lurker for each attack that makes contact give the lurker exp.

For advanced base as in getting level 1 then level 2 plus ARC you’ll need at least 90 gold. If you plan on going Regeneration Towers (ZgRT) you’ll need 90 gold before you should get a ZgRT due to the fact that the ARC holds upgrades for the ZgRT which greatly improves them along with your towers. IF you want ZgRT then you’ll need 135 gold if you want more just add 45 to the 135 and so forth. For Zergling it’s be in your best interest to try to get some AWC due to the fact that Zergling along with Zealot bases require a lot of wood if you want max. Most players due what was listed in the previous paragraph (go back 1 paragraph) After that they then start to wood up for lvl 2, ARC upgrade, and ZgRT For basing and then getting lvl 1 then lvl 2 upgrade I’d say you’d need about 20k wood. *Note* having an extra queen whose purpose is to use corruption on titan which increase the dmg taken by the unit by 15% *End Note* The wood required the 20k was w/o getting ZgRT or overseers ). Also overseers are very helpful for they increase the atk speed of your towers and are Zerglin’s source of detection. Watch them for good titans tend to nuke them before the siege the base.

Zealot (Zt)- Zealot hunter, Stalker if done right is easy to level up and escape and then later be able to kill minions. For stalker I go 1 TP to AB the other to Blink then I use the stalker to scout around for WP to level it up. Or you could go all blink 1st then get AB after it's maxed. With each level I get blink and once it’s max all TP then go to AB. This allows stalker to have quick as well as becoming quite distance from titan escapes. This also allows the stalker to cut off minions or keep up with them as they run. If you plan to kill with stalker make sure you’re not under-supplied.

Make sure in you get the upgrade in the nexus that increase wood rate for Zealot’s workers you need 1k wood +forge to get the 1st two. Other get unlock with the cybernetic core and ARC each cost is 500 wood.

For Zealot base you’ll need about 12k wood this w/o (without) getting trans. If you want to get trans you’ll need a lot more wood easily above 22k but for most players they base and get prismatic and then work they way to trans. For Zealot getting AWC greatly helps out in the upgrading process also having TS and planting them in a place out of nukes range helps as well. If you want Monoliths you’ll need 100 gold if you want more then 1 well then you’ll need another 100 gold and so forth.

If people want I’ll make more of these for the other builders
Last edited by DraGonSlayeR on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DraGonSlayeR
Cargo Truck

Location: On the wonderful sun wait no earth, IDK MIS GEOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGE T_T
Battle.Net: MystiCDeath

Re: ID Basic guide for Baser

Postby TankMysterSC2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:41 pm

Good thread, but the acronyms are confusing (instead of typing ZgOL just type overlord. Stop being lazy :P).
Spoiler: show
TankMysterSC2
Infested Terran

Battle.Net: TankMyster 1542

Postby DraGonSlayeR » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:19 pm

TankMysterSC2 wrote:Good thread, but the acronyms are confusing (instead of typing ZgOL just type overlord. Stop being lazy :P).

Yes Im a lazy person when I can. Fine I'll edit them some >_> hate u making me do more then I want :twisted:
DraGonSlayeR
Cargo Truck

Location: On the wonderful sun wait no earth, IDK MIS GEOGRAPHICALLY CHALLENGE T_T
Battle.Net: MystiCDeath

Postby quantifier » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Well made guide dragon. It is good to see you on the forums.

I would like to see your continue updating this guide. It would be greatly helpful for certain subsets of the player base.

Specifically, I do not think anything is wrong with the content of the guide. However, the formatting could be improved.

More specifically, I think different sections with bolded and large font titles would be nice.
When you see this, smile.
quantifier
Mechanized Sentry

Return to Strategy and Guides