SC2 Island Defense

General Discussion

Let's talk about a standalone ID

Discuss anything and everything relating to Island Defense.

Moderator: Development

Re: Let's talk about a standalone ID

Postby Masterful » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd actually be interested in (potentially) putting together a 4v4 version of ID, and I don't actually think it would be that difficult.

Basically each team would have 1 Titan and 3 Builders. Instead of building THs the Builders could build minions (as many as they want, but they cost a decent amount of supply). Alternatively, 4v4 builders with the same idea, however all builders can summon Minions which can eventually evolve into Titans.

Building on the Arena concept, have shrines around the map which can be captured (only by Builders) and defended. Shrines give the team that holds them supply, and bonuses to Titans. Supply isn't much to begin with, but caps out.

Each team has a special shrine at opposite corners of the map, if they lose this they lose. There would be a few close shrines which are easy to capture and defend. When a builder/titan dies, they respawn there after a short time. Not entirely sure yet what to do with gold.

Titans/Minions would be balanced around fighting each other and bases.

Basically turning ID into a tug-of-war/MOBA. Teams would fight over control of Shrines, and when a team has a few more Shrines than the other team, they start to get a bit of a snowball. However, with a supply cap it becomes harder to defend more and more Shrines. Could also add a temporary penalty if a team loses a Shrine. So, then you have to consider whether or not you want to capture more since there's a risk associated with losing it. Game is over when a team loses their main one.
Masterful
Stalker

Battle.Net: Masterful.168

Postby quantifier » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:26 am

Masterful wrote:I'd actually be interested in (potentially) putting together a 4v4 version of ID, and I don't actually think it would be that difficult.

Basically each team would have 1 Titan and 3 Builders. Instead of building THs the Builders could build minions (as many as they want, but they cost a decent amount of supply). Alternatively, 4v4 builders with the same idea, however all builders can summon Minions which can eventually evolve into Titans.

Building on the Arena concept, have shrines around the map which can be captured (only by Builders) and defended. Shrines give the team that holds them supply, and bonuses to Titans. Supply isn't much to begin with, but caps out.

Each team has a special shrine at opposite corners of the map, if they lose this they lose. There would be a few close shrines which are easy to capture and defend. When a builder/titan dies, they respawn there after a short time. Not entirely sure yet what to do with gold.

Basically turning ID into a tug-of-war/MOBA. Teams would fight over control of Shrines, and when a team has a few more Shrines than the other team, they start to get a bit of a snowball. However, with a supply cap it becomes harder to defend more and more Shrines. Could also add a temporary penalty if a team loses a Shrine. So, then you have to consider whether or not you want to capture more since there's a risk associated with losing it. Game is over when a team loses their main one.

This is a really inspired idea. I really like it, especially the inclusion of shrines.

What would builders do though?

Of course, actually implementing this as a standalone game would be very difficult, just like a normal ID standalone.
When you see this, smile.
quantifier
Mechanized Sentry

Postby fdas » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Masterful wrote:I'd actually be interested in (potentially) putting together a 4v4 version of ID, and I don't actually think it would be that difficult.

Then why call it Island Defense?
syipinc wrote:So it was, that his name was suitably tarnished by malicious rumour and low browed innuendo, that Remy Marcel had no other choice than to enter French politics...
fdas
Infested Terran

Battle.Net: fdas 592

Postby Masterful » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 pm

I should have mentioned that I intended this as a mod for SC2, not a standalone. It would be a shitton of work for a standalone, but not that much work as a SC2 mod since most of the resources already exist.

Builders would do everything they can do now in terms of buildimg. They'd also be the only ones who can collect Gold and capture Shrines. Which means you'd actually need to take risks with your builders in order to progress.
Masterful
Stalker

Postby quantifier » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:50 am

Masterful wrote:I should have mentioned that I intended this as a mod for SC2, not a standalone. It would be a shitton of work for a standalone, but not that much work as a SC2 mod since most of the resources already exist.

Builders would do everything they can do now in terms of buildimg. They'd also be the only ones who can collect Gold and capture Shrines. Which means you'd actually need to take risks with your builders in order to progress.

So a symmetric team game with extremely differentiated roles. Can builders share their gold with the titan? If not, how do the titan get gold? This is way smarter than something like 3 vs 11. A symmetric game provides it's own balance, in a sense.

I do like the idea, as a mod. Even then, it would still be a ton of work.
quantifier
Mechanized Sentry

Postby Masterful » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm

Builders build Titans. Everyone starts off as a Builder, and then instead of building Titan Hunters, they build Minions which can then evolve into Titans. These take supply. Builders use their resources to upgrade their own Titans. Other than that builders work exactly as they do now. So there's 0 Titans at the start of the game.

I actually don't think it'd be that much work to make with the resources already made. The question is whether there's players to play it.
Masterful
Stalker

Postby fdas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Masterful wrote:Builders build Titans. Everyone starts off as a Builder, and then instead of building Titan Hunters, they build Minions which can then evolve into Titans. These take supply. Builders use their resources to upgrade their own Titans. Other than that builders work exactly as they do now. So there's 0 Titans at the start of the game.

I actually don't think it'd be that much work to make with the resources already made. The question is whether there's players to play it.

Who knows? The maker of Squadron TD didn't know he would have players when he made his game.
syipinc wrote:So it was, that his name was suitably tarnished by malicious rumour and low browed innuendo, that Remy Marcel had no other choice than to enter French politics...
fdas
Infested Terran

Battle.Net: fdas 592

Postby Masterful » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:14 pm

SC2 also had 10x the playerbase when it was released.
Masterful
Stalker

Postby quantifier » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 am

There is also the issue that now, all arcade players are too focused playing the top 2-3 games instead of bothering to learn new ones.

Also, while there might not be an issue making the game, balancing it might be a different story too.
quantifier
Mechanized Sentry

Postby EvenFarther » Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 pm

I am also trying to make a standalone ID game, also in Unity and C#. When I started around November 2019 I knew basically nothing about game design, except for creating music, that I'm doing great in and know a lot of things about. But I started to learn each of the different aspects of what I needed. I started with coding, a member of ID gave me a fundamentals book on C# and I read about 20% of it so far(gonna continue reading it soon). Looked up tutorials after tutorials and this is what I got so far, https://imgur.com/wOa9etl still trying to get selecting working properly, gives me headaches
Some things I can probably take out like unit types (light, biological) as they don't really do anything here in ID. I like the idea of "ironman mode"-ing a game, as in creating everything myself, art, assets, music, etc... But I will accept help if anyone wants to
Overall I want to make this to get experience in game-making as well as to give the community more ways to customize or edit the game than the sc2 editor will allow. This isn't simply going to be a port, but rather like a re-imagine or something, oh maybe like a "take this idea and shoot it with creative and new stuff" kind of way, to blow it up with awesome ideas, anyways thx for this run-on sentence.
EvenFarther
Observer

Battle.Net: Someone#1138

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion